My Husband, The Reluctant Hero

My husband loves science fiction novels, especially ones where the main character is a “reluctant hero” kind of guy.

Some of his favourite authors include Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin (of Game Of Thrones fame), and Steven Erikson. I like Thea Divine. She wrote Bad As She Wants To Be, Ecstasy’s Hostage, and many, many more. We have “my taste in books is better than yours” arguments sometimes. As you can probably tell from the titles, I usually win.

Secretly, I think my husband dreams of being a character in one of these novels. I’m talking about HIS novels for the moment. He’d love to be a character in one of MY novels, obviously. That only happens once a month or so, when I’m ovulating. Anyway, the other day, he got his chance, but not in the context you might think.

You see, somebody has been messing with our internet. We don’t know if our signal is getting eclipsed by the neighbours or what. Whatever the case, it hasn’t been working properly.

“OK, who screwing with my stuff?” asked my husband, only he wasn’t that nice about it. He used the “f” word and the “sh” word. Nobody interferes with his computer business and gets away with it. It takes top priority – over me, over the kids, even over his car. If you knew how my husband feels about his car – it’s kind of like me and my cats – you’d know it was a big deal.

He spent a few hours setting and resetting the modem, and doing other stuff that I – as a luddite – know absolutely nothing about. He could’ve been calling the queen, for all I care. Nothing seemed to work.

“That’s it,” he said, walking very tall and broad-shouldered out of the kitchen. “I just wanted to watch my Youtube videos, and do my email. I didn’t want to have to resort this…”

And off to the electronics store he went…on horseback, wearing a coat made of pelts, staff, spear, rifle, knife – or whatever the heck those sci-fi characters carry – in hand. He voyaged across the “Dark Continent” (Walmart’s parking lot), over the snow-covered “Hills of Valor” (the “snow” part is true, the “valor” part, not so much). He took treasure from the “Children of the Light” (some kid and his brother selling chocolate bars outside of Future Shop), slayed a few dragons, and loved a bunch of random but very wanton slatterns. He came back about half an hour later.

“It’s done.” That’s all he said, and then he showed me this.

apple airport extremeIt’s Apple’s Airport Extreme router. It maximizes the internet connection and sextuples the Wi-Fi speed (or something like that) for everyone in North America, half the people in China, and NASA. And for our house, of course.

Thank goodness. All is right with the world again, and we can get back to cruising and creeping people on Facebook. Oh happy day.

______________________________

Related Articles:

Top 10 Ways To Boost Your Home Wi-Fi

Why Apple Is Great And Everyone Else Is Not Even Close

The Apple Revolution: 10 Key Moments

1. January 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

OMG!!! I absolutely love your blog. I’ve been quietly lurking (maybe in “his” router), but I just had to tell you to keep on with the madness.

Yvonne

• January 10, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Glad you are enjoying it. Now I’m lurking you. In two minutes of scanning I see Venice this, spider that, cat, cat, etc. I’m suddenly feeling very unworldly LOL.

At least I have the cats. Will follow as best I can. [heart]

2. January 10, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I love the idea of a reluctant hero. I love YTABA too!

3. January 11, 2014 at 5:28 pm

As far as technology go, this is my hubby all the way!

• January 11, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I don’t know a man who isn’t into technology, although there must be some.

4. January 17, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Yes, I’m obviously way behind on my blog reading. Anyway, I have the one man in the universe who is NOT into technology. Make that 2 of them, the hubby and oldest son. They use it, but someone else damn well better know how to set it up, fix it, explain it, change it, improve it, and collect it from stores in remote villages they have no desire to go to.

• January 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm

So is that you Deni? Do you know how to do that stuff? Every family needs one computer literate person. That would not be me LOL.

• January 18, 2014 at 2:27 am

Yep, that would be me, and Dean. I do more of the computer stuff, and he takes care of all the boxes that have to be hooked up to the tv, but I’ve taught him a lot about computer stuff. One of us hears, “How do I do _________?” at least once a day.

• January 18, 2014 at 3:35 am

LOL Now that would be me saying that…all the time, for everything. I couldn’t even open the re-sealable package of spinach the other day without needing help.

1. No trackbacks yet.